Technology In The Classroom

Technology In The Classroom
Technology In The Classroom

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Technology Empowerment

Who makes the decisions about what technology to buy in your District?  Is it a committee or is it the teachers who are expected to use the technology?  I use to think that it really didn't matter who made the decisions as long as I was able to use the latest toys in my classroom.  When I was a classroom teacher I always felt that I knew more about my needs than anyone else.  After all, it was my classroom.  Now that I am in a position that assesses the technology needs of the entire special education department, I have changed some of my attitudes.
Unless you have a Plan and "Inspect what you Expect", the whole process will fall short.  "The Big Picture" makes any decision much easier to make once you understand how all the pieces fit together.  Teachers are all not on the same technology levels and some need that extra push to embrace it.  My experience has shown me that once a teacher learns how to use technology, it opens up a wonderful world for their students to explore.  The empowerment stage comes once the Plan becomes a reality.  It takes both the teacher and the system to make the choices together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment